Many SEO experts get it wrong since the flat site architecture concept entered the SEO horizon and began to take hold around 2010. The flat site architecture concept is concerned with the click distance between pages in a website, as well as how relevant information is dispersed according to internal link structure; it has nothing to do with URLs.
The most significant misconception is that you must remove directories from URL structures. Although many people believe that keeping URLs brief while also locating keywords near to the root or left side of the URL is a good idea, there are several reasons why you should maintain a certain folder or directory structure.T
Why choose structured URLs?
Hierarchical URL structures are more complex than flat URL structures, In my opinion always have structured URLs with pages sitting within folders.
There are several reasons why you should maintain a certain structure of folders or directories in your root directory:
1. Structured URLs help semantics and how Google understands your main and sub-topics.
2. It is easier to segment and analyse data in analytics.
3. It is easier to segment URLs if you only want to crawl one section of a site.
4. Google kindly tell us: "Use a directory structure that organizes your content well and makes it easy for visitors to know where they're at on your site. Try using your directory structure to indicate the type of content found at that URL."
5. In my 12 years of experience, they rank better. This is based on when I've moved pages from not sitting within directories to within directories. (Internal linking remained the same).
6. It is also helpful for links because people are more likely to link with the relevant anchor text if the keywords are included in the URL.
True optimisation requires examining all available avenues of improvement and weighing the benefit of implementing them.
BONUS TIP: short URLs do rank better in Google so keep them structured, concise and meaningful.
Talk to an SEO Expert
We work with businesses like yours. Book a slot now to talk to an SEO expert.